Sunday, February 5, 2012

Seeing Your Dreams

Heat.
I weigh X amount of pounds.
Move.

Those were three things I had on my dream board about eight years ago.  I can't remember what my goal weight was at that time, but I can say that now I'm proudly 160.  That's two pounds lighter than when I got pregnant a few years ago and from what I hear that's an amazing feat.

My dream board seems pretty simple.  It's easy to get heat, I don't remember being too far from my goal weight, and moving wasn't a biggie since I didn't have a lease to break, but there were challenges in all of them.

I moved to NYC and was pretty fortunate to find my apartment.  I'll get into that in another post, but where I lived was basically a huge loft in Newark.  I was a squatter.  The building was all but abandoned and we had to actually live without permanent beds because any sign of a raid and things had to look like a business.  I had tons and tons of space and huge windows encompassing almost a whole wall.  That's a lot of heat!  My landlords/roommates tried putting plastic on the windows, but that was like putting a bandaid on ...  well, on the windows.  They gave me a space heater and I used to build forts over it to heat myself.  Of course, if I wanted to use any of the other space I had to run there, grab what I needed, and hoof it back to the fort.  And I lived this way for a couple of winters until I met a new male friend who told me he wasn't to return until I had heat!  That's when heat hit the board.  I eventually got what I wanted, but my landlords who could control the heat would turn it off at night which...once you have warmth, waking up without it would be such a bummer.

So the heat war actually led to me moving.  I moved down two floors to another space.  Since we were squatters I eventually had to leave the building altogether, and that spacious loft that at times I only paid $250/month is now selling for half a mill.  Yeah.  Once I left that building I got the kind of spot I wanted with extra space just for my aforementioned male friend's children to spend the night.  I stayed there for eight months and spent the night there three times.  I never even bothered to turn on the electric in that place.

The weight I lost, too, but I don't remember how that came to be either.  Look at how I worded the goal though.  It has to be clear, concise, and present tense.  As if you already ARE the thing.  Your subconscious mind doesn't know the difference.  This post is about dreams and I just remember that I completed each of those and that might have been one of the most memorable times I wrote what I wanted down so that I could see it and then went and got it.

Present day:  I was just looking at my daughter and realized that was a dream that lead to another dream. I never wrote down specifically that I wanted a child, but I definitely tried my best to get one.  And now that I have her it lead to me becoming a published writer.  If I wasn't a mother the conversation of "motherhood" would have never resonated with me.  I'm actually living my dream AND this April I'm going to Disney World (do you remember those commercials?)





Wow.  How crazy is it that I taped that commercial while I was pregnant!  Just realized that as I pondered whether to use Eli's old one (Go, Giants!) or to use the one that directed you to oh, so many Joelle videos.

So now I'm thinking about what else is going on my next dream board.  I'm definitely going to dream bigger.  My dreams are coming true, and I know it has to do with putting them down on paper and making strides to realize them.  That's Positive Change EVERY day!

Give and it shall be given to you, good measure, pressed down shaken together and running over shall men give into your bosom. And with the same measure you give it shall be given to you. Luke 6:38





No comments:

Post a Comment