Wednesday, July 6, 2011

of course, it's the first day of the rest of my life

Wow.  My own stage!  I've always wanted a place to share my thoughts and feelings.  It was one of the reasons I moved to New York City in 1999.  I wanted to be a writer, poet, spoken word artist.  And I was on my grind when I came here.  I went to the Nuyorican on Fridays and other poetry spots on their respective days.  I wow'ed the crowds with my rhymes and story telling abilities.  I even won a few contests, the biggest of which was to perform in Cleveland, Oh with Les Nubians.  That was pretty hot!  I did my thing, but then I lost sight of it.  Corporate America seeped in.  When I first moved here I was living off the fat of my savings so I had TIME to put up with the politics of going to open mic nights to hear the same people spit the same ill formed poems every night. Ugh.  Tiring.  I didn't want fame at the expense of "my craft" so I left the open mic world and started partying with my new found friends.

Any whooo...twelve  years later.  I'm here and I find myself in a whole new world.  It used to be that I could get a job just by being ME.  I was so honest in an interview for a six month temp position they hired me on the spot.  Now I cant beg, borrow or steal and interview.  It's of no consequence.  I am the same person I was twelve years ago, but the industry and the market have changed.  And I'm so glad it has.  I haven't heard it whispered yet, but I'm sure that we are in the time of "recession babies."  People can't afford birth control and whoops!  there's a new generation of children.  Well, maybe that was just  me :-)  But whatever brought me to this new title of "Mommy" I'll take.  I've heard God whispering to me that I should take my last and start my business, but I never did it.  It's scary, but I'm going a different route.  I have to.  You go crazy doing the same thing you've always done and expecting different results.  Not going to outline the whole plan here, but writing is definitely on the list.  Creating baby stuff seems like a great idea, too.  I would love to start classes for kids going to college so that they can economize and let their creative juices flow as they start to decorate their dorms.  Home schooling may be in the cards for Joelle, too.  What!?  A home business AND home schooling my child.  Why not?  Joelle should have the best and what's better than MY MIND?  Nada.

So I guess this is my first blog.  I'll find more to say.  You better watch out world.  That Boogie is on her way and she doesn't care if you are ready or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment