Thursday, October 6, 2011

Living the Dream

Wow!  I get to live the dream!

What happened:  I was watching TV one day basically on a humbug to make sure this show I thought would fail was as bad as I thought it would be.  The show is "Father Albert" and it was a good show, but it didn't have the drama content to withstand daytime TV.  Anyway...during this RANDOM show watching there is a guest panelist, Rene Syler.  Her claim to fame?  She wrote "Good Enough Mother: The Perfectly Imperfect Book of Parenting."  Well, she's famous for a bunch of other stuff, but initially this is all I knew about her.  So after her show I went to her website, FB friended her, and eventually asked this woman to mentor me.

What happened next:  After a few emails back and forth, Rene apologized profusely for not being able to get back to me and also told me that she didn't know if she could be my mentor.  No problem.  I was just sticking my neck out.  Like I said, I wasn't too familiar with her story (which can be found at http://www.goodenoughmother.com/about) so I didn't know how cool and accomplished this woman really is.

Then what?:  Well, I suggested to Rene that since I was free/unemployed that she let me help her.  I needed the job credit for my resume and she needed help.  After several other emails back and forth (she said she didn't want to insult my intelligence re: my experience and the basic level of help she needed) I convinced her to let me on Team Good Enough!   If only I could have this kind of conversation with all the other people I would like to employ me.

The takeaways:  Yay!  First of all I'm so happy to be doing any work again.  Yes, I work all day every day.  There's getting up, getting the kids out of the house, shuttling Joelle to daycare, CLEANING, cooking, cleaning the dishes, errands, you know...stuff.  God said be faithful over few things and He will make us ruler over many.  I take these few hours of "real" work a week seriously.

Next, as I came home to complete my first exciting tasks, I realized I didn't even put a bra on today.  Working from home ROCKS!  And one of the cutest memories ever is Joelle coming around the corner looking for her mommy.  She needed attention at 6am and is not used to the computer getting too much of it.  Also, I can still complete all the other stuff for the household and work around my schedule even though I'd like to be as prompt with Rene's correspondence as possible.

What else?  Rene is a writer!  I came to NYC to be a writer.  I feel like an actress with a waitress job.  LOL  It's akin to that.  I feel like somehow, someway I have made A move...ANY move in the direction I've felt my heart tugging me towards for years.  Every since I became unemployed I've wanted to be my own boss.  I know I can do it...just didn't know how it would come to be.  And I'm not saying I'm using anyone or anything, but aren't we supposed to feel a vibe, an energy when something is just right and for us?


The last thing is I sold myself!  Every book I have ever read on success suggests that you should be able to sell things because if you learn that you can sell yourself or your product.   I wasn't ashamed or afraid of looking stupid.  Usually I am, but this time it really did feel completely right.

Oh, and the last last thing...I followed my intuition.  We all have it and all know of times when it told us to do something, but didn't follow it with disastrous results.  This time I'm all in with the intuition.  I don't know where this ride is going to take me, but I do know that I have great faith that I'm on my way.  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and for now I'll take the smallest of steps and be grateful for them because I KNOW big things are just around that corner!


Matt 25:23  "His master replied, 'Good job! You're a good and faithful servant! You proved that you could be trusted with a small amount. I will put you in charge of a large amount. Come and share your master's happiness.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment